Every year, my husband and I commit to at least one charitable organisation or giving activity that makes sense for us, with the aim that what we do is meaningful and, most of all, does some good for someone else.
Last year, in attempts to reduce clutter, we had a "one in, one out" policy - which meant, for every new item of clothing or shoes we bought, we had to donate one to our nearby charity shop.
And when we added up all the money we spent on clothes, well, it seemed a bit ridiculous. So this year, we're trying something new:
Fashionable Giving
In short, the commitment is for ONE YEAR and neither of us will buy new clothes from retailers (brick-and-morter, online or otherwise), and instead, we'll get our clothes from one of the following three sources:
- Charity Shop (there are SIX around the corner from my house!)
- Swap with a friend
- make it ourselves
Exceptions to the rule:
- undergarments (I had to draw the line at wearing used undies! **shudder**)
- shoes (again, the thought of someone else's sweaty feet and foot fungus gives me the heebie jeebies)
Can we do it? Well, so far, so good - since January, I have injected my wardrobe with some funk and colour AND gotten rid of some stuff I wasn't wearing anymore... and best of all, I have a lovely party dress to wear to a friend's wedding in May!

No comments:
Post a Comment